INGREDIENT HIGHLIGHT: RHODOLIA
Rhodiola - A Clever Botanical
One of the stellar Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) ingredients featured in our QUIESCENT collection is a high altitude growing plant - Rhodiola rosea, or Golden Root. Native to Siberia and Northwestern China, this perennial flowering succulent can now be found in Central Asia, Europe, North America, and the Arctic. For hundreds of years, this amazing botanical has been used in Chinese medicine to improve stamina, ward off colds, treat fertility and respiratory disorders. Also known as “Hong Jing Tian" - 红景天 , rhodiola enters the Lung meridians and is commonly used to treat altitude sickness, bleeding, and respiratory conditions in Chinese Medicine.
Why It’s Smart
It's ability to absorb and store carbon dioxide (CO2) at night is fascinating. In order for photosynthesis to occur, most plants take in CO2 during the day to create fuel. During this process and exchange, they also lose water. Rhodiola on the other hand, holds its breath during the day and breathes in and stores CO2 at night. When the sun comes up the next day, it then uses the stored compound to manufacture nutrients, with little or no loss of water! This clever trick enables the rhodiola plant to remain plump and hydrated in dry climates and high altitudes.
A Super Adaptogen
The root of rhodiola contains unique energy-promoting constituents, rosavins and rhodiolosides, as well as a powerful antioxidant - proanthocyanidins, which is more potent than vitamin C. Hailed as a super adaptogen in recent clinical studies, extracts of rhodiola have shown to combat fatigue, treat mild to moderate depression, and increase cognitive functions, with good safety records.
Overview on the effects of Rhodiola rosea
- Cardio-protective: R. rosea is found to reduce and prevent cardiac damage induced by stress.
- Enhances thyroid function without causing hyperthyroidism
- Increase mental and physical functions: Studies show that R. rosea helps to reduce stress-induced fatigue and improve cognitive levels.
- Anti-Depressant: Clinical trials show that the herb is beneficial for mild to moderate depression.
- Antioxidants: Extracts of R. rosea have been found to protect cells against oxidative damage.